I have and hour and a half to get Day 21 and our Friday Recipe posted. Nothing like cutting it close!
I was busy running errands when I got off work then I took a long, long walk but by the time I got home I was starving. And impatient. And that’s where today’s “simple thing” comes in: Go To Recipes. You know what Go To Recipes are, don’t you? It’s the dishes you cook up on the fly, without an actual recipe. They are the meals you create by opening up the refrigerator and throwing together a bunch of ingredients. It’s not really a written-down recipe but more of a method of cooking that you have used over and over and over, so often that you know it by heart.
And that’s exactly what I did tonight. I made my Go-To-Pasta which is always comprised of the same basic ingredients: pasta, olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, a protein (chicken, sausage), a fresh leafy green (spinach, arugula) or herb (basil, parsley), cheese (Parmesan or mozzarella) and a shot of white wine. I have made this pasta a thousand different ways, a hundred different times and it comes out great every time. It’s quick, it’s healthy and it is so simple.
Here is my basic method, but feel free to switch it up to suit your tummy:
1. Fill a large pot with water for the pasta, cook according to the directions on the box.
2. In a large skillet drizzle enough olive oil to coat the pan, set over medium heat.
3. Add chopped garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes to the oil.
4. turn the heat up to medium high. Add your meat. Cook until meat is cooked through and lightly browned. Add a splash of white wine and allow to cook off for a minute or two. If you are still waiting for your pasta to finish cooking, reduce the heat to low.
5. When your noodles are ready, drain and reserve about 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta water. Add noodles directly to the pan along with your cheese of choice and your greens/herbs. Stir well to combine then if the pasta seems dry you can add back some of the pasta water.
6. Sprinkle your cheese over the top and serve!
Have a beautiful weekend, everyone. 31 Days will continue through the weekend, only 10 days to go!